Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Jake!



My "baby" is 10 years old today! I can't believe how time flies... I remember we moved to McKinney, just two weeks after Jake was delivered (in Austin)... On a very cold and rainy day, just like it is today. I remember me and the baby and my son Matt, wrapped up huddled in front of the fireplace, as the movers were moving in all the furniture (with their wet and dirty boots!) - waiting for the heat to be turned on! Well he's a "big boy" now - double digits! He's such a great kid - we couldn't be prouder!


It's probably going on 8 years now that I started doing cakes... I remember this, because, when Jake was just about 2 years old, my mom offered to watch him, so I could get out of the house and do something creative! I decided to take a cake decorating class. Something I had often thought about doing, and hey, if mom offered to babysit, sounds good to me! We learned the "basics" - torting a cake, icing a cake, basic shell borders and buttercream roses! I was hooked! After completing the basic class, I immediately enrolled in the intermediate and the advanced classes! During that time, I started doing cakes for family and friends, and friends of friends! I'm in business! (or as my husband says - a glorified hobby!) Well over the past 8 years my little business has evolved considerably! Last year I moved into a commercial kitchen, continue to practice new skills and love to take specialty classes from visiting cake artists. I've even had my work published! I love what I do! Designing and decorating cakes is my creative outlet - it's my art! I thought I would be a graphic designer when I "grew up"... this isn't it... but as far as I'm concerned, "sugar" is just another medium! (Thanks mom!)

No comments: